Monday, May 11, 2020

A Holiday Tomorrow That We Can Actually Celebrate!

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I direct your attention to NATIONAL LIMERICK DAY which is traditionally recognized on May 12th to honor the man who is credited with inventing them.  Edward Lear, born May 12th, 1812 and who died January 29th, 1888 at the ripe old age (for those times) of 76.  During his lifetime he was an artist, illustrator, author and poet.

The rules for  limerick creating  are:
Five lines and the 1st, 2nd and 5th lines have to rhyme with each other
 The 3rd and 4th lines have to have  5 to 6 syllables.

All of which is confusing as hell.  Anyhow, here are a couple of samples from Lear's times.

Limericks I cannot compose
With noxious smells in my nose
But this one was easy
I only felt queasy
Because I was sniffing my toes.

A fellow jumped off a high wall
And had a most terrible fall
He went back to bed
With a bump on his head
That's why you don't jump off of a wall.

I am papering walls in the loo
And quietly frankly I haven't a clue
For the patterns all wrong
Or the paper's too long
And I am stuck to the toilet with glue.

Much more recently the Daily Breeze for May 9th and 10th ran a double page feature "Fine Rhymes" with entries that were meant to fit with our position as the new Mask People.

A small selection to illustrate -

A girl from Long Island was bitter
Her birdy on Face Book had quit her
But said her canary
"Social media's scary-
I'm just sticking to my own twitter."

My poor puppy is lately confused
For his training is going unused
I taught him to shake
That was a mistake
Because handshakes must now be refused.

If you would like to submit one of your masterpieces, add it/them to Comments and I'll run them.  No vulgarity permitted and none is expected.

No comments: