Tuesday, March 24, 2020

On the Inherent Goodness of the Human Race

The ink was barely dry on the You Can No Longer:" list when various groups began signing up to help.

The local Web site - NextDoor.com - covers Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo Beaches with stuff for sale; coming events; Wanted items (nannies, cleaning people car seats for babies, etc.)

On what had to be the same day, people were asked to keep an eye on elderly neighbors; offer to bring them groceries, bring in the paper, give them a ride to wherever they want to go … very neighborly and useful, too.  Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) writes that they have teamed up with Beach Cities Health District for much of the same thing plus such exotica as making sure smoke batteries are functional.

Personally speaking, a great deal more e-mails back and forth from relatives, friends - all very welcome, you may be sure.

This outpouring of offers to help reminded me of this associated-with- Louis- Armstrong- song:
.

"What A Wonderful World" performed by Louis Armstrong  Can't you hear his gravelly voice?

I see trees of green
    Red roses, too
I see them bloom
    For me and you
And I think to myself
  What a wonderful world

I see skies of blue
  And clouds of white
The bright blessed day
   The dark sacred night
And I think to myself
    What a wonderful world

The colors of the rainbow
   So pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces
   Of people going by
I see friends shaking hands
   Saying, "How do you do?"
They're really saying, 
    I love you

I hear babies cry
   And I watch them grow
They'll learn much more
   Than I'll ever know
And I think to myself
   What a wonderful world.

   Yes, I think to myself
What a wonderful world

            Oh, yeah  (and put some growl into it)

No comments: