Thursday, December 5, 2019

"What's it all about, Alfie"?

Well let's start with basic information.  First and foremost, I am not named "Alfie."  You should have twigged this on your own as there are plenty of clues on this site as to the fact that I'm Nina to friends and foes alike.  (If you are a foe, please let me know at your earliest convenience. I will make every effort to fix it whatever it might be.)

What in this instance is the book I am touting so assiduously about?  From the copy on amazon.com

"Little kids go through a period when their every utterance is either "Why?" or "NO!"

I got over "No" pretty quickly but to this day I've never gotten over "Why?"  Why would anyone go three months without bathing just to live like they did in Tudor England?  It turns out that the Tudors were a lot cleaner than we might have thought in a land where people of wealth existed with only three pairs of underpants each - one on them, one in the wash and one in reserve.  Nice ones were left in Last Will and Testaments!

Why would any man be loony enough to go around marrying trees?  Some sort of bark fetish?  As it turns out, he is an ardent ecologist.  And in my not-so-professional jargon "bat shit crazy."

How did that pistol turn up in an old suitcase under our house?  And who put it there and why?

Why can you buy kosher marijuana in New York, but not Los Angeles?  Because New York has the highest Jewish population of all American cities.  And I didn't know the population figures either.  Double new info.

I like the quirky because human behavior fascinates me.   When something strikes me as odd, funny or faintly educational, I'm off on the hunt to find out more.  "

So, to answer your curiosity, that's what it's all about, Alfie!

No comments: