Sunday, February 2, 2020

HomeTeam Loyalty

Familiarity doesn't always breed contempt unless it's earned … or so someone somewhere must have said.

I am referring, of course, to the two contenders in today's Super Bowl- the '49ers for San Francisco and the Chiefs for Kansas City, Missouri.  

I'm rooting for my home town because I know it - Arthur Bryant's world-famous barbecue.  The Nelson Atkins Modern Art Gallery and the familiar Claes Oldenberg sculptures dotting the vast green front yard there.   The Plaza  (our response to Beverly Hills) and the opportunity to drive by Pinkerton Elementary School and Southeast High School(two of my alma maters)  plus our old house .Our first house is now a freeway on-ramp.  Benjamin Stables where I learned to ride ...

I've only visited San Francisco once, probably 50 years ago, for two days.  Well before, you will note, potty maps for their city streets.   

Easy choice, eh?  Plus KC hasn't had a chance for 50 years - "It's their turn!" anguished fans howl.  Count me among them.

Plus?  The odds slightly favor the Chiefs for a win last time I looked.  

No comments: