Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Heart Healthy Corned Beef Is Not an Oxymoron

The local deli is where I embarrassed myself and this is how:  I was looking at the billboard of sandwiches they make and spotted the little red heart that signifies heart healthy next to the listing for corned beef.

I turned to the counterman and said, "Dude, you need to fix your sign - corned beef is bad for you!  All of that fat?  To say nothing of the salt?"

He grinned back and said, "Ours is low fat and 50 per cent less salt - Here try a slice" shoveling one at me on a little slice of deli paper. 

I did; it was heavenly and I bought half a pound.  The deli's been my go-to for corned beef ever since.

Today I finally took a look at the label and it read: Columbus top round corned beef.  No wonder!  Top round is enormously more tender and densely "all meat" than the usual brisket which is loaded with fat.

A pound of Columbus is also $10.59 but for the health benefits?  No problem. 

columbussalame.com   See if you can find it where you live. 

No comments: