Thursday, May 25, 2017

Saying "Goodbye" -- Or Not

Yesterday's mention of "the Irish Goodbye" triggered curiosity in me.  I wondered why "French leave" is another way of saying or implying the same thing.  I looked it up and it originally referred to going without "taking leave" of your host.  This is also called "ghosting" and it is a popular way to describe another's quiet departure.

Back in the day ('70s and '80s) my friends and I used "Dixie" to explain that we were about to leave - "Dixie" comes from the old song, "I wish I was in Dixie..."   One of us would look at her watch (or empty glass) and say, "Gotta Dixie."

James Lee Burke, the writer, has a character named Clete Purcell and he is a pistol.  No filters on him at all.  He once filled someone he hated's convertible - the top was down - with a hefty pour of wet concrete.   And he frequently tells Dave Robicheaux, the series hero,  "Time to di di" which I get that it's a reference to an abrupt departure or a recognition that "we've done all we can to destroy this - let's go" I have never heard anyone say it so I have no idea how it's pronounced.  If you know, let me know!  Is it "die die" (as in the quick for diaper) or is it "Deedee" as in the shortened form of Diana or Dina? Inquiring minds want to know.


No comments: