Friday, October 3, 2014

Close Enough for Horseshoes or a Grenade

Once upon a time, a long time ago, we had a neighborhood Italian restaurant that we enjoyed very much.  With the fullness of time though, the owners gave up on (presumably) running in the red.  They ran out of money and, I think, heart, too.

But one dish they served was delicious and, worse still, no other Italian restaurant served it.  I am talking about Pasta Ameritriciana a luscious combination of:  cooked pancetta, a garlic-y cream sauce, mushrooms and a dash of peas served on the pasta of your choice.   . 

Over the years, I've searched for a recipe and never found one.  It is more than likely that I am misspelling the name and it's out there under it's true name.

Last night I tried again.

Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced, and sautéed in olive oil. I tossed in the previously cooked pancetta to warm up and poured Alfredo sauce over both in the pan.  Meanwhile I cooked linguini and at the last minute, tossed in a handful of frozen peas with the linguini. 

When the pasta was cooked and drained, I tossed it in the sauce and served it. 

Even Richie liked it and he doesn't like "white" pasta sauces.  I think it's good enough to qualify as a "company" dish.  Meaning that I would serve it to them.  There a bunch of other culinary delights around here that don't stand a chance of elevation ...
 

No comments: