Sunday, September 15, 2019

Gin-soaked Raisins for Arthritis Pain: Placebo or Actually Usefull?

I can only speak for myself here, but I will say that I have had many pleasant experiences with gin-soaked olives!  To fire up the blood - all that's necessary is a gin martini.  Slights perceived through the bottom of a glass are immediately treated.  Some have said that gin works like paint remover on a wall with me as far as manners are concerned.

But alas, this is not about me, fascinating though I may, be gin-soaked or not.

The People's Pharmacy (which sounds vaguely Communistic to me) is a column in the Daily Breeze Sunday edition, under the aegis of Joe Graedon, pharmacist, and Teresa Graedon, doctorate in medical anthropology and nutritionist, which seems focused on "cures" to be found in a health foods/supplements store.

A reader wrote in that he/she? and her five siblings, are all prone to arthritis. The writer goes on, "Raisins, even with gin, are much less expensive than the drugs my sibs have taken over these many years."  (All of them are in their 80s.)  

The Graedon's response is that they first heard about this arthritis pain relief treatment 25 years ago.  They add that since then, "hundreds of people have told us that this home remedy is surprisingly effective against joint pain."

The Graedons have a Website - peoplespharmacy.com with a video of how to soak raisins in gin which is total overkill in my mind.  Designed for people too stupid to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the sole?  If you need help figuring out how to soak raisins in gin perhaps you should turn to regular arthritis-specific pain medications.  Leave the gin alone until you're mature and wise enough to figure it out.

When you do, do not tell the nice police officers that you were not drinking, but treating arthritis pain.  Tell about him this cure - he may have arthritis, too.  

For myself, should I get arthritis, I will soak my raisins in my stomach after a healthy slug of gin  "Up, please."  


No comments: