Friday, September 4, 2020

Two Things Your Surgeon May Forget to Tell You

Both occur post op primarily because it wouldn't make sense to suffer them PRE surgery.  

 I finally made my escape from Providence Little Company of Mary aka the little house of horrors (beginning in their kitchen.)   This is my interpretation of the place - it's always twilight inside.  The rooms are dim; the halls are perhaps a watt brighter (but no more than that.) 

As I am fixated on finding a little sun somewhere, anywhere this tells on my psyche.  

Back to original business.  The two conditions post op are:  anorexia and/or depression.  

I'd already lost weight in the hospital; as previously remarked, I lived on Italian gelato (less wiggly than American) and yogurt for three days and at that, one meal a day.  The first dinner home I was able to eat about four bites and that was it.  Up until recently, the pattern persisted.
Am now back , more or less, to usual diet.  

Post op depression according to the literature, is routinely thought to be a last ditch bummer from trace anesthesia still in the body.   

Today, 9/4/20 I have felt better inch by inch every day which, as you can imagine, is quite welcome.  I have an appt. with the surgeon next Tuesday at which I am hoping that he will remove the dressing.  It itches all around the borders.  Last night I had to put an ice pack on it.  Hot tip - ice acts against itching.

No comments: