Wednesday, September 2, 2020

This'n That

The meaning of words:  I was reading a book (which I can't really recommend - "The Red Room" by Nicci French which is a sort of Brigette Jones Diary and a couple of murders.) and one of the lead characters said to another, "I'm just on tenterhooks about whether..."

And I thought, we hear that word in sentences that express agitation - so what the hell is a 'tenterhook'?

Wikipedia told me that it's a hooked nail which is called a tenter which is used on the wood frames used in making woolen cloth since the 14th century.

Dissing Great Britain.  One of the travel sites released a bunch of letters that express distaste for some of the great sights there.  With no further ado - Big Ben (common name) 

"It's just a clock and I can't understand all of the hype about it.  It'll be digital in 30 years anyhow."

Stonehenge
It's just a pile of a few rocks disgusting to look at and nothing to do.  If they knocked it down and put in a funfair or an arcade... it's just a silly place.  

The London Eye isn't an eye just an overgrown Ferris wheel with too much PR. 
Source  boredpanda.com

These letters were clearly written by foreign hands.  Brits are unfailingly polite!  And I like'em!

No comments: