Saturday, June 23, 2018

Get Out! Pumpkin Spice Cough Drops? Spicy Dill Pickle Potato Chips?

Pumpkin Spice Cough Drops
CVS sells them as an "own brand."  Out of sheer curiosity I bought a smallish bag of 30 individually-wrapped lozenges.  Just unwrapped one and inserted it into my curious mouth.  I am disheartened to report that it is strongly flavored of menthol with no hint of spice, pumpkin or kumquat or whatever.

So I read the list of ingredients which is a bunch of chemicals including but not limited to:  natural and artificial flavors, medium chain triglycerides, propylene glycol, soy bean oil, sucrose and water.

No mention of pumpkins spiced or not.

When I think of all of the traditional flavors - cherry, honey-lemon and honey licorice, known to all of us since childhood … I have to wonder why?  Especially honey-licorice when licorice was absolutely forbidden if one was taking an antibiotic.  Minute amounts... must have been.  Licorice is a strong flavor and a little goes a very long way.  But pumpkin spice?  Nothin' but menthol, darlin'.

Spicy Dill Pickle Potato Chips
A proud product of Deep River Snacks which donates 10 per cent net of profits to charity.  They also use the back of their bags to promote other charities that have personally affected employees and families.  The charity is featured on the back of the bag and changes.  This bag features Caroline's Miracle Foundation for children with inoperable brain tumors.  I like their motto which really expresses their charitable philosophy - "Because We Give a Chip!"

They are located in Deep River, CT. and I bought this 2 oz. bag at Ralph's by the deli counter.    The whole bag is only 290 calories and I like that part.  I would report on taste, flavoring and so forth but it's right before dinner.  Richie is making Beef Fillet Tips a la Eugene and if it all works out will give you the recipe.






No comments: