Sunday, February 21, 2016

Snarky Sunday

Note:  am well aware that we are adjured to be particularly nice on Sunday, but I feel we should at least make an attempt at being nice every day of the week.  And Snarky Saturday just doesn't cut it somehow. 

The 776 Nastiest Things Ever Said quoted by Ross and Kathryn Petras   193 pages   $7.95

Bob Feller on Michael Jordan's bid to play baseball - "He couldn't hit a curve ball with an ironing board."

Noel Coward on Mary Renault:  "I'm sure the poor woman meant well, but I wish she's stick to recreating the glory that was Greece and not muck about with dear old modern homos."

A critic writes of Daryl Hannah "...looks like a linebacker in a Lorelei wig."

"I think the last book Nancy Reagan read was Black Beauty."  Democratic critic

"Bill Clinton's foreign policy experience stems mainly from having breakfast at the Int'l House of Pancakes."  Republican critic

France:  D.H. Laurence - "I would have loved it - without the French."

Germans:  "One thing I will say for the Germans, they are always perfectly willing to give someone else's land to somebody else." Will Rogers

Australia:  "In America only the successful writer is important, in France, all writers are important, in England, no writer is important and in Australia, you have to explain what a writer is."  Geoffrey Cottrell, writer (wouldn't you know it?)

I roared at this, but now I can't find it (hidden among 775 other quotes) but it goes like this:

Young starlet to older, well-established star:
Starlet - I loved your book!  Who wrote it for you?
Star - I did.  Who read it to you, dear?

No comments: