Sunday, September 14, 2014

Figging Out!

Not a misprint for "wigging out."  I am talking about too many figs...I wrote about them recently and Richie apparently took it to mean "Bring more figs home!"  And with a will, he tore through the Thursday Redondo Beach Farmers Market and bought another basket. 

Friday he had to go the Hermosa Farmers Market for strawberries and flowers.  He and The Strawberry Lady had struck up a conversation about figs the previous Friday and this Friday, she handed him the gift of a pint of homemade fig jam!  Rich and dense looking, absolutely packed with figs.  (Yes I will send her a return gift next Friday.) 

I was perplexed.  What could I do with all of these figs?  But then, just as despair was mounting, Food And Wine plopped into the mailbox and there I found this.

BALSAMIC FIG CROSTINI
1 lb. fresh figs, stemmed and halved
2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 T balsamic vinegar
Pepper to taste

Get your outdoor grill going - or your indoor grilling pan - and grill the figs, cut side down.  Put them in a bowl with the olive oil, vinegar and pepper.  When cool run once through the Cuisinart. 

I think you could save this in the refrigerator and have a go-to dish if we suddenly have company. 

The only problem remaining?  I already had a jar of fig jam in the refrigerator.  But:  waste not, want not.  And I really don't need (or want) any more figs for awhile.  I'm figged out. 


No comments: