Monday, April 14, 2014

Are You Sure That Was Me?

It seems unlikely, but my sister in the throes of spring cleaning sent me a recipe for making your own catsup that has my scrawl across it - "Delicious - easy to do!"

It's dated September 15, 1986.  At that point in time we'd been married three years and I was 46.  There is an amazing amount of difference between what one is willing to do at that age and now, some 30 years later.

Particularly when you consider the opening direction which is "Take 10 lbs. of tomatoes..."  I cannot believe that I made anything - ever - with that huge amount of tomatoes. 

I pass it along to you, Respected Readers, because before we know it, we will be deep into summer and up to our eyebrows with fresh tomatoes.

TOMATO KETCHUP
10 lbs. ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup vinegar
3/4 to 1 cup brown sugar
1 teas. EACH:  cayenne pepper, ground cinnamon, ground allspice, baking powder
a pinch of nutmeg

Cook the tomatoes and onion together in a large stainless steel pot over moderate heat for 30 minutes or until both are tender. 

Put a strainer inside another big pot and pour the tomato pot contents through it.  Then whisk in all of the spices, sugar and vinegar.  Let it simmer for an hour and a half or two hours, cool and bottle it. 

I must have been quite insane back then ... (hastily) but I'm all right now!

No comments: