Monday, February 18, 2013

Men!

Ladies, if you have been married longer than 20 minutes, you will know what I meant by that remark. 

Scenario:  Richie and I go to the Palos Verdes library booksale.  (Highly recommended, by the way.)  He spots and buys "365 Ways To Cook Chicken" for "T."  I spot and buy, "Around the World, Around Our Town - Recipes from San Pedro" for me.

Cut to three days later:  "I'm going to make Arroz con Pollo,"  he says.  He does and it is good.   Naturally I want to share anything good with you.  "Which book did you use?" and he starts babbling about his chicken book and sticks one of Lady Bird's discarded feathers in it as a book mark.  Naturally, I assume he used "T"'s book.

I gave you that recipe.  Some hours later, he is reading the column and says, "Oh, that's the wrong recipe - I used the one in the San Pedro book."  When I go berserk, he says, calmly, "Oh, no one has to know ..." and I coldly retorted, "But I know."

'REAL" ARROZ CON POLLA

3/4 cup olive oil
1 cut-up chicken or any part of the chicken you like to equal one chicken
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/8 teas. powdered saffron (optional; it costs a fortune!)
1/2 teas. curry powder
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
pepper to taste
1 cup raw rice
3/4 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms

Using a Dutch oven, brown the chicken pieces.  Toss in the onions and garlic bits and brown
then add the tomato sauce, saffron, curry, chicken broth and pepper and cook for 20 minutes.
Add the rice, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the peas and mushrooms and cook another 15 minutes.
Serves 4 to 6.

This is a lot less complicated than the "365" book's recipe. 

No comments: