Wednesday, March 3, 2010

An American Ambassadress at Work

We visited a doubly new market -- it's four months old and we'd never been there.

El Segundo Farmer's Market in the Plaza El Segundo (just north of Rosecrans on Sepulveda.) Every Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. It struck me as odd that this market is located right in front of a Whole Foods. Richie says Whole Foods sponsors it which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The farmers ween't having a very prosperous day; the sky was overcast and it felt like it was going to rain. Thus there was a sparse attendance. Basically the two of us and a pair of women.

A booth selling dried fruits (Spicy Mango, anyone?) dried nuts and dried vegetables as a snack was manned by a pair of young Mexican lads. I bought a bag of dried, sugared ginger ($4 - picture Ginger-Pineapple cookies with REAL ginger!) and we chatted.

I asked if they spoke Spanish? (Yes!) Would it be okay for me to try to use mine? (Yes!) So I haltingly conveyed the fact that it was a poor day for the market (pobrecito mercado!) and they responded fluently.

The cuter one (and the other one wasn't so bad either) said that he tries to learn a new English word each day. "I want to improve my English." In my turn, I explained that it's polite to ask if someone speaks a foreign language and not assume that they do. They both agreed, nodding their heads sagely. I assume a prissy air, drew myself up and said, "I am very Politically Correct!" and when they giggled, I mimed smoothing my hair and gave them the bird. They howled with laughter! And kept laughing as I walked away. When we passed them on the way to the car, they both waved and said goodbye. If you go to this market, tell my new friends "Hi" and buy something, hey?

As for you, Miz Hillary -- take it on down the road, huh?

No comments: