Saturday, February 27, 2021

Kids and TV/Radio - in 1959

 Richie's Senior Yearbook came to light  and it was very well-done, including the following:

Yesterday's Gilbert Youth Poll showed that teenagers are watching less TV and that newspapers and radio are getting more of their attention.  That's the way it was with Huntington High School, of Huntington Long Island,  interviewed today. 

Noreen Bender, 15, a Junior:  "We don't have a TV set at home.  It was taking too much of the the family's time from things we wanted to do together.  (anyone else fighting a gag reflex at this?)  On radio I like FM music mostly and in newspapers I like the current events and feature stories.

I think I see enough TV when I babysit.

Meryl Easson, 16, Junior; member of the Creative Writing Club.  "I enjoy radio the most.  I can always listen to it while I'm doing other things.  On TV I like the dramatic shows and the family situation shows.  In newspapers, I like the woman's pages and then the current events items.  

Barbara Kryulko, 15, Junior,  "I need more time for schoolwork so I watch  TV less and read newspapers more.  TV doesn't give all of the details in the news but I like the spectaculars and the quiz programs,  If I had to give up one medium, I guess it would be radio."

I wonder what today's high school Juniors would say ...

No comments: