Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Easter Gravestone Decorations

 If you do decorate the loved one's grave site with seasonal trim such as a pastel wreath  you don't have to buy it from the cemetery where you plan to use it.  

Richie's younger brother Charlie, called last night from Huntington, Long Island,  to say that a great place for these decorations is Home Depot!  I was stunned mute!  He'll be visiting Home Depot today to browse.  I did it sitting here at the computer.  

Lowe's startled me because apparently they don't carry a lot of any one thing and to my shock right next to Easter was Halloween in the form of a pair of bony hands coming up out of the dirt.  Gave me a right old turn, it did.   

But when I'd calmed down, I remembered that Pacific Crest Cemetery is nearby, well-populated and could provide a fair amount of entertainment with a drive-through to see the decorations (if any.)  The balloons on a child's grave are heartbreaking.  St. Patrick's Cemetery, Long Island,  for years had a mylar (?) balloon attached to a pair of child-sized beach flip flops.   It always made me stop, look and reflect on what the parents could have been thinking.  But I plod on to Richie and Charlie's parents graves and their uncle Joe and his wife Kay., all of whom were well-aged.  No flip flops for them.  


No comments: