Friday, March 22, 2019

Today: A New Experience On Which To Report

Pictured:  the cast for next weekend's performance.  To publicize it, Bob Mueller the producer has arranged for several of us to be interviewed by Michael Hixson, the Entertainment columnist for the local paper the Daily Breeze.

My turn in the barrel is at 9:15 a.m. today when I am to call him and be interviewed for this extravaganza.

What makes this especially interesting to me is that while working as a freelance photo journalist and then later with my own extremely modest PR shop, I interviewed a great many other people, but was never interviewed myself.

This is going to be extremely interesting for these reasons:  we're both writers and we interview/have interviewed a lot of people.   We undoubtedly have different styles.  I'm looking forward to seeing his, to on-the-fly figuring out what angle he's looking for and how to give him what he wants efficiently and on point.

I think of it as a tutorial of sorts and am anxious for it to be 9:15 a.m.

TO BE CONTINUED

A brief bout with phone tag and game on.  First of all Mr. Hixon has a very pleasant voice and a non-threatening manner.  My style back then was simply to smile a lot.  A smile is heard in your voice.  And then I sounded non-threatening.

My only problem was being asked a direct question - what's your piece about?  Damned if I know how to give a brief answer on that one.   I got tangled up in sequence of events and fell back on the lameness of  "Well, it's more of an anecdote than a story -- with a beginning, middle tragedy and a happy ending."

How did I get into writing?  Reply:  when I found out you can make more money for photos if you write the caption and the story - I'm a mercenary I told him.  Followed that up with, "I think you're probably the same - we can't not write when explaining "And the Best Blog Is:  Word of Mouth."

All in all, points and game to Michael Hixson.  The Daily Breeze should rightfully take great pride in his work.  

 

No comments: