Thursday, December 14, 2017

Little Houses, BIG Prices

A ReMax sales person left a newsletter on the porch.  Idly I scanned through it - until I got to Recent Sales and For Sale.   I was glad I was sitting down.  Our neighborhood was y-clept by some idiot real estate salesman as "the Golden Triangle" - what?!  This is NOT a poppy field in some furrin place.  Not by a long shot.  Our area has children and they have placards parents set out on the street - "Children Playing" which is a good idea as our street is sometimes used as a raceway to the bigger streets around us.  Most usually between 7 and 9 a.m. The "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go" crowd.

About the only time we have a police presence here is to pull Santa in his sleigh through the neighborhood.  Cop car ahead, cop car pulling the sleigh, cop car behind acting as tail lights.  Three sirens going full blast plus "Santa's music" (tinny and L O U D.)

Very well.  You've met the nabe.  Here are the listings that shocked me.

SOLD
1747 Van Home Lane, 3 bedrooms, two baths, 988 sq. ft. built 1957  $825,000

1635 Wollacott St. 2 bedrooms 1 bath, 909 sq. ft. built 1952  $1,275,000

FOR SALE
1701 Speyer Lane, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 925 sq. ft. built 1958   $785,000

1612 Carlson Lane, 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, 948 sq. ft. built 1959 $970,000

I'm not in a good spot to quibble about small house prices.  Ours is 1,999 sq. ft. and I will go to my grave wondering why the builder didn't just round it off to 1,200 sq. ft.  Doesn't that make sense?  Few homeowners run around with a tape measure measuring before buying.  In fact, probably exactly none.  We certainly didn't; that was just me taking the easy way out.  As usual.


No comments: