Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Judi Dench Put Me To Sleep

"And Furthermore" by Judi Dench St Martin's Press 268 pages $26.99

This is basically a long list of plays, movies, television shows she has done plus the name of every single person in the cast plus the director with scattered, not-that-hilarious anecdotes. Pro writers call this "laundry list" writing. It is very, very dull (but it does fill up the pages.) She details her acting career that started in 1934 and, God bless her, she's still going strong in 2011. I would cheerfully watch her, but not read her.

But Marlo Thomas Made Me Laugh

"Growing Up, My Story and the Story of Funny" by Marlo Thomas Hyperion 382 pages $26.99

Marlo's memories of her father, Danny Thomas, are warm and affectionate. But what made this book interesting to me is that she interviewed more than 20 current comedians and asked them, "When did you know you were funny?" "Were you the class clown?" "Where do you get your humor?" and other questions.

Just a few you'll find in the book: Jerry Seinfeld, Robin Williams, Joan Rivers, Joy Behar, Jerry and Ben Stiller (a double!) I loved Joan Rivers crack at cougars. "Why would I want to wake up in the morning, look over and wonder if that's my date or did I give birth during the night?"

I know who I would pick for $26.99

No comments: