Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fashionable? Or Not So?

We had ordered (more about that in a minute) and the table next to us was getting up to leave. One of the party was a man wearing (from the ground up): work boots with white socks peeking out of the tops, khaki shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and ... a big, white cowboy hat. Anna Wintour, Vogue legend would have fainted. I just grinned to myself.


After Vino on the Veranda, we went to Hudson House (previously reviewed) for dinner. I'd been thinking fondly of their brown sugar ribs, but when I saw the menu, I changed my mind. They've removed some old favorites (no worries the hamburger on a pretzel bun is still there as are "my" ribs) to put in new things.

This caught my eye: three cheese biscuits with chili flakes, bacon and honey-butter - $6. I ordered it as a sort of appetizer. We split one and they were interesting. Nice, warm chili sting, offset by the sweetness of the whipped honey-butter. The other two went home with us. They reheat in a convection toaster oven really well.

I ordered a BLTA on grilled na'an - applewood-smoked bacon, red leaf lettuce, avocado and heirloom tomato. The na'an was a mistake - doughy, not sufficiently grilled - in fact it was tepid. Scrape out the good stuff, discard the na'an and pick up your knife and fork. You're about to meet something good.

Hudson House is a favorite because while I liked their old menu, little changes in it are interesting and thought provoking.

No comments: