Thursday, June 16, 2011

Very Different Styles

Today is Richie's 70th birthday. I am reminded of the poem that goes --

Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go
Friday's child is loving and giving
Saturday's child works hard for a living
And the child that is born on the Sabbath Day is bonny and blithe and good and gay.

June 16, 1941, was a Friday. Trust me on this -- Richie IS loving and giving. If a family member or a friend wants something, Richie won't rest until he's found and given them what they wanted. I learned early in our marriage, not to ask for the moon because he'd probably try to get it for me.

But there's always the exception that proves the rule...I planned a birthday party for him, but he has adamently and consistently declared, "It's just another day." So today that's what he's getting! The closest he got for a birthday greeting from me today was "Are you enjoying 'just another day'?" Yes indeed, I am that mean! How could you even wonder?

I think he'll change his tune by 5 p.m. tomorrow night when he greets 21 of our friends and his family at his birthday party (my tab.) Maybe for next year he will have adopted my philosophy: If you didn't celebrate for an entire week, you didn't have a birthday!

No comments: