Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Dept. of Motor Vehicles

I'm going there today; should be back by Tuesday. I have to renew my license before 4/25 and the first appointment I could have gotten was for 5/5/10.

More later, perhaps...

UPDATE
Going to the DMV is like going to the dentist, only worse.
Arrive 11 a.m.
Was given my number at 11:39 a.m. The line to get this at the Information desk stretched out of the building, down the front of it and around the corner.
Did the eye chart, had my picture taken and was sent to do to the written test.

Leaving at 1:40 p.m. was told I'd flunked the written test and would have to come back, BUT I can sidle in the side door, hand my old test to the lady, get a new one and do it then and there.

Question 15 A pedestrian who is blind or visually impaired uses traffic sounds before deciding to cross the street. If you see a pedestrian with a guide dog or white cane, you should:
A. Stop at the cross walk and honk your horn ____
B. Drive into the crosswalk so the person can hear your engine.______
C. Pull up to the crosswalk so the person can hear your engine__

I answered A with "honk" meaning "toot" to me. The right answer, according to the DMV, is C. How sinister is that? You're blind and you hear ... a car ... sneaking up on you! Will it pounce? Will it wait? Did no one at the DMV think about a friendly shout -- "You're okay on this side!"

Since all our streets with pedestrian lights MAKE a sound, I think this is kind of irrevelant.

No comments: