Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Nephew, the Wino

I knew that Steve had recently graduated (with honors) from a wine certification course for professionals, but I couldn't remember his new title so I e'd him and asked. He wrote back, "Certified Sommelier or Wine Guy or Wine-O."

I had consulted him on the column about which wines with fast foods. He wrote back, "I say, if you like it, it must be good, and down with wine snobbery! My boss told me a story about a wealthy couple in Florida that used to come to his resort for dinner. Their choices: two hamburgers off of the bar menu with a bottle of Chateau Petrus. $10 burger with a $1,000 bottle of Bordeaux. Go figure ..."

I replied that I fervently prayed I would never be that wealthy ...

Incidentally, 30-something ladies, my nephew is a blue-eyed blonde, 6 ft. 7 in. tall with a killer smile. Unfortunately he is somewhat geographically unattractive due to the fact that he works in a city near Dubuque, Iowa. However, his aunt (the pit bull) would be happy to pass along any messages of interest to him.

No comments: