Sunday, March 8, 2015

Richie Upstages Me - Again

More than 30 years ago, my sister and I made the rather awkward discovery that our mother prefers her sons-in-law..  "Oh, Richie - let me get you some jam for that."  "Jim this is the most tender cut of the roast - and let me give you another potato, too." (Jane and I exchanged looks - we were both waiting to hear, "Shall I cut it for you?")

  This I didn't mind.  Only a fool would want a mother-in-law who hates their spouse.  Jane and I  muttered, "Bring it on!"

For many more years, I have lived contentedly on the fact that all of our friends prefer him.  That's fair enough, he is a lovely man.  And, being generous as well as  funny, they have room in their hearts for me.  At least if I don't overstay my welcome.

But this latest has. gone. too. far.  Richie has a groupie!  In my field - writing!  His letter about Netanyahu ran recently and the next day the phone rang and he answered it and talked for 30 or 40 seconds.  And I couldn't figure out with whom he was speaking.  When he hung up, I asked curiously, "Who was that?"

He said, "Oh, it's this lady that read my letter and liked it."

Me:  "Ohhh?  (eyes narrow) Which lady?"

Richie, innocent as a baby frog, says, "I think her name's Kay Bailey; retired schoolteacher?  I think...  That's what she told me the last time she called."

The last time she called, indeed.   I'll have you to know that I have written three times the number of Letters to the Editor (published) and no one has called yet.  How unfair is that?  I ask because it's inconceivable that he's a better writer than am I.

Or is it?  NO!


No comments: