Saturday, March 21, 2015

Almost as Expensive as Caviar

I'm referring to Trader Joe's Sweet Sriracha (uncured) Bacon Jerky which retails for $5.49 for a 2-ounce packet.  To snack 10 people would set you back  $54.90 which is rather steep.  Especially if you're drinking beer and watching a sporting event. 

Because I was curious about making bacon (!) into jerky I bought a packet.  It is good and I ate 2/3rds of the bag.  It's a much softer chew than other meat jerkies.  Because it goes into the drying oven with the addition of sugar, honey and Sriracha coating it, it comes out sweeter.  Sriracha is not that hot a taste; don't fear it. 

I bet you could make your own for a lot less money than that.   But it still would be an expensive snack - you'd have to buy a drying oven and run it for 12 to 16 hours.

There are other bacon  treats you can make at home -- go see cookingwithbacon.com

No comments: