Sunday, January 13, 2013

Let Me Get Back To You On That, Willie

"Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die, Musings From the Road" by Willie Nelson   Harper Collins Books   175 pages   $22.99

I would have to say that this book was written like this:  someone tipped over Willie's wastebasket, picked through various scraps and then re-typed them into a book.  "Book," hah!

Willie (if indeed he did write it) roves from childhood memories to vaguely Biblical advice to anecdotes about other musicians (all of whom he totally loves,) hoary, hoary old dirty  jokes and page after page of song lyrics.  The final third of the book is written tributes from his extended family and longtime band/road members.  I couldn't figure out whether he was just padding the manuscript or is dying.

Willie will be 80 this year; Willie's smoked a helluva lot of weed for a helluva lot of years.  He's entitled to what could be politely termed "a roving mind."  But I don't have to enjoy the wander.  Make this a lilbrary wait-for and save your $22.99 would be my advice.

And I am a longtime Willie Nelson devotee, it must be said. 

No comments: