Saturday, February 20, 2010

Easy as Pie!

Friends are coming for dinner tonight! Since it's heading toward the cool side of the thermometer, I'm serving a Daube Provencale which translates to "fancy for beef stew." I like a light dessert with a heavy entree so I made (yes, you read that right) a Key lime pie. If it's easy enough for me to do, it's damned easy!

KEY LIME PIE, courtesy of The Dockside Restaurant, Savannah, GA

1 store-bought Graham cracker crust
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup bottled lime juice
1 14-oz. can of condensed, sweetened milk

Unwrap the crust and bake at 325 for 10 minutes.

While that's going on, put the lime juice in a big bowl, add the egg yolks (which you've opened individually over a separate cup or bowl - yes, as a matter of fact, I did learn this the hard way) and then the sweetened, condensed milk. Beat well.

Richie had a couple of limes for his nightly gin & tonic, so I swiped a couple of peels off of one and minced the green part and threw it in with the pie filling. This really makes the lime taste pop out.

No comments: