Thursday, February 11, 2010

Discoveries...

That grill master Bobby Flay was right about how to make a hamburger. Just before you cook it, put a thumb-sized dent in the patty center. Never press down with the spatula while it's cooking. The result is a plump, juicy patty.

Gym Update
On my way out, I stopped and suggested perhaps a bench by the locker room doors for cell phone users. The older woman, a grizzled vet if ever I saw one, laughed and said, "They'd never use it. (warming to her theme) I've had to talk to them and they instantly become abuse -- verbally AND physically. 'Who do you think you are?'"

The younger one added, "I used to be a costumed character at Disneyland and if a kid kicked me and I complained to the parents, I got in trouble and they got a free pass!"

I reeled backwards, hand pressed to my forehead. "The world is upside down. I've lived too long," and staggered out of the gym.

A Bigger Day than I Knew
This Sunday is Valentine's Day. It's also the monthly jazz club meeting with a first look at the re-designed bar at the Knights of Columbus where these meetings are held. This is quite enough excitment - Maybe free drinks to toast the bar? but then I discovered it is also Chinese New Year! This year it's the year of the Tiger. Go to ChineseZodiac.com to find your sign -- I'm a Dragon, Richie is a Snake and my sister is a Rat.

Other Uses
As I whipped through Target the other day, I grabbed a bra off of a rack, saw that it was my size and threw it in the cart. Once home, I examined my buy more thoroughly and discovered it's something called a "nursing bra." There is a half-pocket inside the cup and I thought, " What a wonderful place to stash your cash and credit cards in Vegas or a foreign land!" 50s and 100s on the right!

The Broccoli Incident
Richie demanded this vile vegetable with his dinner last night and since I had all four burners going on the stove, I microwaved it and it turned out perfectly!

No comments: