Thursday, August 13, 2009

Aloha, But, er, No-ah

I have tried to learn to like Hawaiian fast food, but I just can't do it. I've eaten at The Loft, Hawthorne, Torrance; Back Home in Lahaina, Sepulveda, Manhattan Beach, Maui Rose, PCH, Hermosa Beach and Ohana Hawaiian BBQ, Redondo Beach Blvd, Lawndale.

To a restaurant, the meats on offer are greasy. Most orders automatically come with a big ball of rice and another of macaroni salad (the double starch duo.) Portions are very, very generous.

Yesterday's Hawaiian barbecue pork was slices of unknown parts of the pig that had been stir-fried! Thrown in were the gristle and fat... no charge. Ahem! Barbecue is NOT a stir-fried dish.

All of the above restaurants are clean, nice decor (more or less - Maui Rose wasn't really trying) with friendly serving people. All of which is nice, but a decent plate of food would be, too. Alas,
I'm stuck with the occasional outing to Roy's Hawaiian Fusion. I say "occasional" because it's usually $50 per person...A Rockefeller I'm not!

No comments: