Thursday, May 7, 2009

Feeling Snarky

"Relish" is a magazine insert in Wednesday's local paper. The editor is Jill Melton and she wrote an apology for running a cover caption with "Funner" in it. In her apology, she notes that her daughter texted her "CYA." She didn't know what that meant; evidently her daughter told her was "C Ya" with which she ended this note. Her daughter pulled one off on her -- "CYA" most commonly means "Cover Your Ass." Don't you love it when kids make their parents look like idiots?

Scene: Main library elevator; Richie and I are going up from the parking lot. A man with a sleeping little boy splayed across his chest like a starfish gets on. The kid is 3 1/2, maybe 4, and totally out of it. Clearly they're headed for the kids' section and "Story Hour."

I said softly, "Someone's having a good nap" and he smiled and said, "Well, he's going to have to wake up soon!" and before I knew that I was doing it, I said, levelly, "Drop him."

The man's eyebrows flew up toward his hairline and I thought, "Uh, oh... Now I'm for it" but then he just grinned.

And a reminder from the retirement club's newspaper: Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose.

No comments: