Thursday, August 1, 2019

Summer Sun = Fun

I admit, yesterday's "fun" was rather a-typical for us.  Richie, "D" and Mouton all went to Orange County for an Angels vs. the Detroit Tigers game.  When the Tigers won (9 to 1) Mouton was overjoyed.  He's from Detroit.  "D" said he did little dance steps all the way back to the car.  I find this difficult to believe.  He's not a dancing fool under any circumstances.  But I wasn't there so what do I know?

They have their annual train trip to San Diego to see the Padres and Whoever, but this additional game was a new one to me.  I was happy enough to stay at home.  I had bidness of my own, none of which, it must be said, had anything to do with cleaning up this house.  I was hunting for the children's book I wrote some time ago (and never did find it.)  One thing amazed me.  I had blogs going back to 2005!  Plus correspondence, articles written for real publications.  I looked at the sheer volume of "stuff" and shook my head.

Richie called; he and "D" had dropped Mouton off at his house and were headed for the 405 to pick me up and we'd all go out for a libation and casual dinner.

You can't get more casual than the Hermosa Beach Pier, where resides Hennessy's Tavern.  I know it's been there for 38 years because we used to go there when we were courting.  We frequented every bar down there, as I recall.

We got a big curving banquet, on the wall closest to the Strand (a wide sidewalk with the beach on the other side) and it now stays light so long, had to pull the blind down.  Skaters, bicycles, people walking their dogs - this was our scenery.

First a drink - "D" Corona, bottled $7.50  Richie a Pacifico $7.50 and me a Dirty Gin Martini $10 and the best one I've ever had locally.  Or, come to think of it, anywhere else.  You could taste the olive and gin together which is the whole point of one of the damned things.  And an order of onion rings; well breaded, but crispy at the same time.  Unusually, you can halve it with your fork.  $7.50

Mains:
"D"  Fish'n Chips, cod, served with fries and coleslaw  $15.75
Richie "Frisco Burger" with Jack cheese, 1,000 Island Dressing, onion, lettuce tomato on a Parmesan-toasted Sour Dough bun.  $13
Me  Redheaded Reuben $12 and here's where I deflect from a Dirty Gin Martini to wonder where the hell they'd found the corned beef - it was pink, fairly chunky slices with a dash of sauerkraut - Put more in! - cheese and homemade potato chips.

Food, onion rings, drinks came to $96.25 plus $9.14 "tax" (on what, pray tell?) for a grand total of $105.39 plus a $20 tip.  I'd go back for the martini and have a BLT and avocado or something.

No comments: