Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Good News for Writers (and Other Very Small Businesses)

I'm now speaking as a writer and holder of a California DBA since 1996.  My first book (out of print now) earned me some money.  Averaging it out came to about $1,000 a year.  Our CPA said I could charge off on advertising, supplies, long distance phone calls and I went crazy.  New computer, new printer, business cards and anything else I could think of - and due to laws at that time, it was all perfectly legal.  I could not write off the room in the house that I use as an office as my clothes were in the closet there.

Two years ago, having bought a $1,400 ad for my most recent book, I chortled and handed over the paper work to our accountant, who took a gander at that and at the profits for this book and then burst out laughing.  "The IRS doesn't care about anything earned under $600."  another gust of laughter and he said, "$58 in royalties?  Don't bother them about this."

But:  In today's "Ask The Lawyer," I read this tidbit in Sokol's column wondering if it's true that giant pharma gets a tax cut to write off  their many (and annoyingly long) TV ads.

Sokol replied:  "Companies can often deduct the money they spend on advertising and this cost is considered 'ordinary and recurring expenses for carrying on a trade or business.'"  Yeehaw!  I have a trade (writer) and I am running a business - Murf Ink."

Mah fellow small business owners, rejoice!  Landscapers, order more of those 4/c business cards you put on our front porches to advertise your services!  Dog walkers and pet sitters - print more flyers for phone poles in your area!  There are almost limitless savings just waiting to be declared!

But:  a word - don't try this at home - use an accountant.


No comments: