Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Overcome Your Fear of Heights Right In Your Own Living Room!

Richie has been scouring the Redondo Beach Library for documentaries of various such as sky scrapers (how to build one I assume from the jacket copy) and the paintings of Gauguin.

Last night's bill of fare was called Man On Wire and the jacket is a photo of a lonely-looking male wire walker high above the earth (1,300 ft.) on a wire stretching from the South to the North Twin Tower.  Something no one will ever be able to do again due to the disaster that was 911.

I have acrophobia big time and I saw the front of the box photo as described above and I thought, "Oh, God, I don't want to see this!" and wondered how quickly I could hide behind the covers of the book I was reading.

But then!  I saw yesterday's announcement of his 70th birthday which prompted me to think, "Well, hellfire and damnation he survived it!  There's no gruesome footage of a big splatter on a sidewalk!"  Conclusion:  it could be watched.  So we did.  And since much of it was documentary, frankly it was rather boring.

I wondered if there was a fictional documentary which would include dialogue, love affairs, background … all of the things that make life more interesting.  There is!  it's called "The Walk" and if you don't have time for a movie, Google "The Walk" plot" and enjoy a much fuller history and ongoing adventures.

Now I want to see that one and rather rue "Man On Wire."  And clearly the man is gifted and now I want to see the fully-fleshed story.  He did make it to age 70; I can sit and watch his antics in a sort of homage to his good fortune.  And the hell with flickers of acrophobia!

No comments: