Saturday, July 28, 2018

Focussed on the Tater Tots, I Forgot About the Post Meal (Gratis) Cream Puffs

Yesterday, we both had haircuts at our cutter (Tonsorial Parlor) in El Segundo.  Cleverly I made appointments at 11:30 and 12 noon so that I could inveigle Himself into buying lunch in El Segundo.  My other ploy, in nice weather, is to schedule us for 4 and 4:30 so that we can re-hydrate with a beer out on the spacious patio of the Old Town Bar and Grill, on Richmond.

Yesterday post-haircut (he hates them.  He is a life-support system for a head of hair)   he was fretful.  He turned down Main Street Café and Rock'n Brew and Old Town Patio in rapid succession.  And then we passed Britt's BBQ, 408 Main Street - 310-640-0408.

We looked at each other.  I said, "Do you know it's the only restaurant I can remember being in that serves Tater Tots?  I looove Tater Tots and theirs are so crispy that they are virtually fat-free!  Yes, let's go there!" my mind firmly fixed on the red plastic basket brimming with them.    So we did.  He had the beef brisket sandwich which he turned into a "combo" for $4 more which included a drink and a side, beans in his case.  $$13.95  I ordered a la carte and opted for the pulled pork sandwich $8.95, Tater Tots $3.95 and an iced tea $2.50.

We ate with gusto.  The sandwiches are generous and both meats are smoked for 14 hours (out back they have a bunch of smokers) so I saved half for dinner.  Richie cleaned up his plate.  His is a more robust appetite.  Replete, I asked for the check but instead, here came a little plate with four powdered sugar-covered cream puffs!  I'd completely forgotten about them!  They used to call these cream puffs "beignets" which they aren't as the real deal has no cream filling.

All-in-all a lovely day.  Good haircuts which was no surprise; Dale's being our cutter for some 32 years; and not only Tator Tots but free cream puffs!  Bliss...  I recommend it. 

Later - Our friend "D" said the Tater Tots inspired him to get in his car and go eat some.  That is the power of Tater Tots - approach them with care...

No comments: