Friday, March 22, 2013

Certainly a First For Me

Every Friday, Hermosa Beach has a Farmers Market.  One of the vendors sells various hot dogs and today I felt like noshing on a bacon-wrapped one. 

The vendor picks one out, puts it on a square of aluminum foil turns (to put it in the bun) and hands it to me.  I squeeze Dijon all down it, wrap it snugly up in the foil and stick it in my purse.  He also handed me a plastic knife and fork on a stack of paper napkins.   "Going uptown!" I said approvingly and he grinned.

Back at the car, I pick up my library book from the car floor ("The Innocent" by David Balducci) and start to unwrap my hot dog from the foil, remarking to myself, "Damn! This sucker stayed hot!"

When all was revealed -- it was a naked, bacon-wrapped hot dog but no bun.  I even peeked under the hot dog looking for it.  Now I knew why he'd added the knife and fork!

One of two things had happened -- either he'd surreptitiously noted my behind and decided, "This mama, she sure don't need no bun" or else Ladies of his Country eat a hot dog daintily with utensils.  None of this vulgar cramming it into one's mouth.   But it was a first.

No comments: