Sunday, September 25, 2011

Aha! Ze Mystery Issss Solved!

Richie remarked that his clam chowder tasted like there was some kind of alcohol in it at the Chowder Barge the other day.

"Sherry?" I queried.

"Nooo..."

When our server appeared, he asked her and she looked startled, like "OMG this guy is a recovering alcoholic!" but said, firmly, "There's no alcohol in it."

Once home, I e'd Tony and asked him if he knew what the mystry ingredient is. He wrote back, "No, but I once fished a whole bay leaf out of my bowl of chowder."

Ah-hah! That would explain the faint, peppery taste I got and the alcohol taste Richie got.

I just finished visiting epicurious.com to see what they recommended and one of the recipes, from the Culinary Institute of America (CIA,) listed "bay leaf."

No comments: