Friday, April 24, 2009

The Greedy Bitch Tour '09

For 51 weeks of the year, I like to think that I am well under the radar. But during that one week of the year it's All Me, All of the Time. That week is my birthday in late April.

Since I had nothing to do with the fact that I'm here (and both parents are dead so you can't go after them) I love to celebrate my birthday big time! I'm responsible for all the other things I do in life those 51 weeks, but not my birthday, dammit!

The world is clearly divided into two sorts regarding birthdays. There are the ones who say, "Pshaw! It's just another day!" (Richie is their president.) The other side believes that: if the birthday didn't last a full week, didn't involve stuffing your face and over-serving yourself and at least one neighbor calling the police, then it wasn't any kind of birthday at all. (I'm with them.)

Thus the Greedy Bitch Tour '09. Rollout for it began this morning with breakfast at Polly's on the Pier. Dinner out tonight. Friends over for a Mexican buffet tomorrow night. Sunday champagne brunch at Ports O Call. To Palm Springs on Monday where the festivities (eating every meal out!) will continue until we come home on Wednesday.

Given my fervent reluctance to be the one on stage, the hardest part for me is the attention. It's taken me years of self-administered therapy to be able to accept verbal birthday greetings. I love cards (opened in the privacy of this house.) Having experienced the waiters gathered around the table singing 'Happy Birthday" I believe I can live a very long time without repeating it.

What I love best is having our friends over. These people are all tremendous fun, extremely intelligent and it makes me proud to have them in our house. Their presence IS my present and worth far more than diamonds or emeralds. (Not that anyone's offered either one...) ((Still, it's never too late!))

So ... get over it, get out of town or join us! This is my week to howl!

No comments: