Friday, April 10, 2009

Considering Converting Faiths

I am torn between becoming a Luddite or a Flat Earth person. And Bill Gates and all of Microsoft will be responsible if I do.

In a nutshell: My downstairs monitor (the big, boxy kind) was doing fine even though the screen had a sort of yellow overlay to it. Didn't bother me, but it did bother Richie (who rarely uses it except to download his camera.)

He nagged and nagged so I bought a flat-screen monitor, brought it home and installed it. Screen started up normally and then started flashing "Frequency Too High!" I went online, discovered how to fix the situation, tried it and it didn't work. I disconnected it, re-installed the old one and went about my business.

Old friends came to town and he's a computer professional so he went down and installed the new monitor and was satisfied it was working. I went down three days later and it was back to its bad, old habit.

Disconnected the new, re-installed the old monitor which now won't work at all because its frequency was changed. Repair guy can't come until next week -- said something about going away for Easter.

I need a printer. So I unhooked the one downstairs, brought it upstairs and connected it to the laptop. Laptop's all "What printer? I ain't got no stinkin' printer!" so I go back downstairs and embark on a fruitless quest to find the original printer installation disc. Gone.

Trudged back upstairs, went online to the printer manufacturer, found the one I have and downloaded all the software to make it work. The download took a total of 15 minutes, so I ate my last night's leftover pizza and read more of my book. I may not know much about computers, printers or software, but dammit, I can multi-task.

No comments: