Thursday, May 29, 2014

Hawaiian Punch

We stopped off for a beer at Suzy's, Hermosa Beach.  The regular pull beers, stood in a mannerly row - Budweiser, Bud Lite and Stella, but the end pull - squinting - looked like a surfboard?

I asked the Bar Lady about it and she said, "Oh, it's from Hawaii; called Longboard Island Lager - it's really good."  I reaffirmed with Richie that it's lager I like and said I'd like one.  Bar Lady said, "I think you'll like it - it's replaced Stella as my go-to beer" and yanked the handle. 

I did like it.  But I was a little surprised that Hawaii had any craft beer makers; the rep there is that most everyone is too laid back to do much of anything. 

It turns out that there are two Longboard beers -- Longboard Beer Brewing Co. of Thirroul, New South Wales, and Longboard Island Lager of Kailua, Kona, HA.

We need not concern ourselves unduly with the brewery in NSW; they only distribute it there. 

"Our" Longboard is made by the KonaBrewingCo. com with brewing partners (their term) in Portland, OR; Woodinville, WA and Portsmouth, NH.  The brewery was started in 1995 by dad Cameron Hedley  and son Spoon Khalsa. 

Their description of Longboard is:  A delicate, slightly spicy hops aroma complements the malty body of the beer.  To which I would add, "With a faintly smoky back taste."

Bev-Mo stocks it and they're having a sale on it.  The summer season is upon us - stock up!  It's not like beer will "go bad."  At least, not around here that is...

No comments: