Friday, July 20, 2012

A Recovering Husband Is No Fun At All

Thankfully, the figure I know as "Richie, my husband" is making a good recovery from rotator cuff surgery yesterday afternoon.  However, given this person's disposition, I have to ask:  Will the real Richie please come back?

Normally, Richie is one of the nicest people on earth.  He is generous, giving, willing and able to led a hand.  This person has been replaced by an impatient and rather demanding patient.

This is, based on the many words of advice from fellow wives, entirely related to the fact that a husband in a hospital is angelic; at home, they are the exact opposite.  Thank you, ladies, it's good to know that I'm not toiling in the vineyard alone. 

A conversation from yesterday afternoon.
"Would you get me a Dove bar?"
Wife puts down thriller she is reading, goes to kitchen, opens freezer, takes out a Dove bar and begins to rip the bag containing it open.
"No! No!" (anguished howl) Get the scissors and cut the top off of the bag and then about halfway down the sides of the bag.  Good - thank you."

Frankly, I liked it better when he has had the flu or his back went out.  When he's seriously sick, he takes to his bed and sleeps.  No muss, no fuss.  Just a faint snoring noise traveling up the stairs to the living room.  A woman can enjoy that kind of sickness.  I'd say more on this subject, but I've got to go cut up a t-shirt so that it will fit over his sling.  He wants to go out this afternoon. 

No comments: