Saturday, April 9, 2022

She better emerge fast

Billed as the best dive bar in the  South   Bay and is locking up after a 70 year  gig.

It was also my first and last waitress  job.   Hired and fired.

Richie and I had recently been married d I was beginning to learn how to live beach side after having moving down here from Beverly Hills.  You can be poor there.  "90210"  I think. it was.  TV Serial

Now this new  residence  was in a 2-beroom in The Peppertree.  And so were we in one of them

On this midweek stroll down the Strand I passed a window  that roared:  HELP WANTED

The Mermaid  was that window.

There weren't any customers at 2 p.m. only a man sitting on a stool   in the doorway  to the parking lot. with a beer in one hand and a cheap cigar in the other*  He introduced himself  " Boots  "and asked me to return the next day for an interview.

I was happy to agree.  How did I know it was cheap?  The smell, my friends

Richie was home and listened intently as I related my story .

SidebarRichie didn't care if I worked or not., he  warned me  RIGHT AFTER THE VOWS.all I want when I get home is for you to be in a good mood."     Read, file that on e.and of all things ACT NICE 

.e

What to wear to this all-important interview with this Boots character.  I looked at my opened closet door. and mulled the contents.  

If I'd known my work clothes would consist of  white jeans and a white tee-shirt and a yellow  carpenters nailing apron ...

No comments: