Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Old Files Found Interesting

In digging around in the above, a newspaper article turned up of great interest to me.  The article concerned itself with my paternal grandmother on the occasion of her 95th birthday.  There may be more articles on her because she didn't die until she was 101 and five months.  Certainly good news to her off-spring except that her husband, my grandfather, died age 65 (hotly debated in some family discussions,) but anyway he was in his 60s.  He brought the average age down in any event.

Stella Ann was born January 2, 1876  Now that was a verrry long time ago!

Her family came to Kansas in a covered wagon and crossed a river to Rulo, Nebraska, on a ferry boat with cable and windlass.  The power?  A large mule.  She and my grandfather married in 1894.  They then proceeded to have five children - three boys and two girls.  Of note:  The family last name was Vermillion and for reasons known only to the blissful couple, they thought of 10 names so as to give each children three initials ALL of them being "VVV."

Varney V; Virgil V; Vera Vedette; Victor Verdun; (my Dad) Vivian Violet.

The reporter concluded, "It is a pleasure to talk to Mrs. Vermillion for her philosophy on life, her sharp wit and great sense of humor are certainly something to remember."  (She bitch slapped me for getting familiar?)

I can only wonder who the hell he/she was talking to as my memories of Stella Ann were singularly sour.  She lectured my mother about letting me wear jeans (age 6) and usually had no time for me.  She did at least have a bookshelf with books to amuse me.  "Donovan's Brain" was singularly interesting.  Through some freak accident (or deliberate scientific prodding)  Donovan's body was separated from his head leaving only his brain to communicate.  I was 8 and wondered about that for quite some time.

In fact, going off to Google it right now.

No comments: