Friday, May 22, 2015

Dubious Bargains

I recently re-upped my subscription to Bon Appetit and yesterday, I received their "thank you" for doing so.  A gift certificate for Petrosian caviar?  Nope.  Omaha Beef?  Nope, again.

It was a $100 voucher for nakedwines.com.  What ho?  I went to the Website and discovered that management claims it is  customer funded to bring wholesale prices and to fund independent wineries. 

The wines are pre-chosen and "bundled."  I am not that adventurous.

Here is the hitch.  A mixed case MUST cost $160 (or more) whereupon you are given a $100 credit and pay $60.  Typical basket price:  retail - $326; Naked Wine - $164.

More than that, our guests are all very generous, bringing wine as a house present.  Thus since we don't drink wine with every meal, we have a plethora of a cellar.

And how could I betray my beloved Trader Joe?

No comments: