Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tater Tots

I haven't thought about a Tater Tot for more than 25 years simply because Richie doesn't like them and I won't fry anything in deep fat. One of the great inventions of the 20th century was French fries that you bake instead.

Club 705, Hermosa Beach, posts their menu online (club705.com) and this caught my eye: Sweet Potato Tots with Maple-Bacon Aioli. I assumed sweet potato tots were readily available at the supermarket freezer, so looked up a recipe for the dipping sauce. And ran straight into trouble. See if you can spot what freaked me out...

MAPLE BACON AIOLI
1 T bacon fat
1 T maple syrup
1/2 teas. minced garlicl
2 T mayonnaise
1 tea. lemon juice
1 teas. mustard (apparently your choice, no direction given)
Pepper to taste.

Mix and serve.

What turned me off: I am not about to put bacon fat in anything that is going directly into my mouth. We have bacon fat, but it's in an old soup can in the freezer. When the can is full, into the trash as garbage disposals don't like it either.

Instead, I would fry up a slice of bacon to crisp and then crumble it between paper towels and toss into the mix. Even though the bacon craze has come and gone. Denny's yanked their Bacon Sundae off the menu before I could scamper in and make faces at it.

No comments: