Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Afterthoughts...

Best in Show - Westminster Kennel Club

Richie was taping it, but we couldn't tear ourselves away from watching it live until nearly "Jeopardy" time. I wonder if our fascination stems from having seen "Best of Show," a hilarious movie on this same subject.

I felt sorry for some of the dogs when I considered their handlers. Most of the women were "of a certain age" and most of them looked like battleships! The thrusting prow of the bosom; the tightly corseted beam. The dogs have been groomed to within an inch of their lives -- only to be towed around an arena by fat ladies! How pitiful is that?

The judges, of course, know the most superior things in dogs so 'ray for the Scottish deerhound. I prefer the sleeker breeds, the Doberman Pinschers, the "ghost dogs" (Weimerainers.) The black cocker spaniel made me laugh out loud every time I saw him trot. I thought of flapping rags in a car wash.

"Watson"

No surprise - Las Vegas sport books are encouraging people to bet on the live contestants or on "Watson," the IBM computer. Tonight is the last night and the last chance for the humans. "Watson" wiped the floor with them last night.

In a way, we are watching a certain kind of history being made. Considering all of the Twittering et al going on, I have to wonder if the day will come when a human will buy a "Watson" just for friendship.

Good Sandwich

I made this yesterday and liked it so much I had another one for lunch today. Cut a chunk of baguette suitable to your appetite, cut it in half and toast it. When I cut mine in half I also cut out the big section of dough underneath the crust.

When your bread is toasted, slather the bottom half with Coleman's mustard and the top half with mayonnaise. Carefully lay in white meat chicken, pepperoni and a slice of red onion. Mash the top down on the sandwich and eat it. Um, um, good.

No comments: