Sunday, October 8, 2017

It Appears That My Mouth Has Written a Check and There are Insufficient Funds in the Account

This afternoon (10-8-17) is the monthly Jazz Club afternoon concert.  Last month, spurred on by bonhomie I thought it would be fun to sing with the band - not just at our table, but a solo in front of the band.  Previous mentions had been warmly received by band members.  I can't claim that I was drunk - half a pint of Stella doesn't have that kind of effect on me.

Personally I put my good humor down to the fact that I was FINALLY done with "And the Best Blog is: Word of Mouth" and that it was listed on amazon.com and best of all:  I had $12 in royalties coming to me which grandiose sum would pay for a half-pitcher of Stella.  Bliss reigned.

Richard Tucker, trumpet, is a friend of ours and a fan of my writing.  He always has a pleasant look on his face - as if he's delighted to find that the interesting package underneath the Christmas tree is for him.  Sure enough he willingly said we could sing a duet - I didn't want to be the only target up there - safety in numbers - and we would sing "something easy - "My Blue Heaven." 

Except "My Blue Heaven" isn't easy.  I will italicize the trouble spots.

When whippoorwills call and evening is nigh, I hurry to my blue heaven.
You take a turn to the right; you'll find a little bright light that leads you to my blue heaven.
(Here you can belt it out) You'll find a cozy place, a fireplace, a cozy room - a little nest that nestles where the roses bloom ...
Just Molly and me and baby makes three, we're happy in my blue heaven.    

My blue heaven seems to require three octaves "my" normal voice, "blue" here's where the trouble starts - go up or down to bass?  "heaven" is more or less neutral, you're heading back to a normal singing voice for all of the rest of it. 

If I manage to goad myself into actually carrying off this mad idea, at this moment (no Stella yet) I think the best part of prudence would be to just shut the hell up on the "my blue heaven" parts. 

Singing with the band was a marginal bucket list item.  I think I'd rather kick the bucket than do this. Mr. Tucker will do just fine without me. 

No comments: