Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Anticipation - Followed By Disappointment?

We will see.  Tonight, continuing a new custom of dining together once a month, Mouton, "D" and we are, or will be, dining at Johnny Reb's Smoked Barbecue, 4663 Long Beach Boulevard, Long Beach.

A great fuss has been made about potential traffic from here to there.  We are to pick up "D" at 3 p.m. with an ETA at Mouton's Long Beach mansion of 5:15 p.m.  Frankly, I think this traffic nonsense is exaggeration and fully expect to be there by 4:15 p.m. if not sooner.  We are not talking here about having to be in San Francisco by 5:15.

We'll see.  Anyhow, the important part of dining at any place new to us is a pre-look at the menu.  It is 9:10 a.m. right now and I know exactly what I'm going to order for dinner .

First an order of "crispy" onion rings with barbecue dipping sauce with our drinks.  Never drink on an empty stomach.  And my drink will be a Bloody Mary which goes well with 'que and I doubt they have much of a champagne selection.  Although they should. 

Then fried green tomatoes dredged in seasoned cornmeal with bacon and smoky chipotle sauce.  $7.
I loved Fannie Flagg's book "Fried Green Tomatoes" and have never been ambitious enough to try to make my own or been lucky enough to be a guest of someone who did. 

Then my eye fell upon burnt ends of smoked crown of brisket, sautéed with brown sugar and whiskey over hot pepper cheese grits. $14.95 

 Just the words "burnt ends" took me back to my childhood in Kansas City, MO, when my Dad would occasionally stop off at the barbecue place and bring home a pound of burnt ends for dinner.  I loved them!  And despite having eaten my own weight (none of your business) in bbq since, have never been able to find burnt ends.   

Sometimes dreams do come true. 

No comments: