Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Second Cataract Surgery? Check!

Richie's left eye was done this time - same surgical center, surgeon, support staff ("D"  who graciously drove us as I can't yet due to something called frozen ankle, a result of previous hip surgeries.)  The cats were no help at all; it was the post-breakfast nap slot on their schedule.

Last time he arrived in Recovery amazed at how brief the procedure had been.  "I was just here!"

Today, a different anesthesiologist lightened up on the sedatives and Richie said that he felt their fingers on his face, heard the OR staff talking, but not what t.hey were saying and, yes, they did have music on but he couldn't hear it that well.  Just "music."  For all of you who fear this surgery know this:  at no time in either surgery did he see a scalpel or laser beam coming at his eye.  Nothing to be afraid of at all. 

Since surgeons seem to delight in getting up before God, his job was set for 7:15 a.m. be there at 6:15/  Richie woke me at 5:23 a.m. (fine; I knew what was coming) and "D" knocked on the security door at 5:30 a.m. by calling out in a fake German accent "Uuuber!"  I slammed into overdrive and we were walking up the driveway at 5:40 a.m. 

Of course I had to wear a hat  to hide my hair; merest daubs of make-up and I was panting, but that passed after we hit the first cross street.

I am happy to report that Himself had a hearty post-op  breakfast (think of a boa constrictor that's just eaten a goat) and is "relaxing" (sleeping like a log) in his all-purpose recliner.  I feel pretty confident that he's going to be okay.

And I know I will be.  After all,  humans have only two eyes.  Two and done.

No comments: